Tuesday, August 10, 2010

AUSSI AUSSI AUSSI... AY AY AY

I've been in Australia for a whole month !! And I have noticed that Australians over all are very different from Americans. Australians are much more laid back (Which may explain them having better sense of humors; very witty). This is especially seen in Australian students. They're described as "closet studiers" who somehow make time for hard partying .....every night. Whenever I mention studying to a local student they look at me puzzled. "Why study, you need to have fun!!" The ironic bit is that school work is still taken very seriously and the grading system is much more difficult than it is in the states. Which explains why an 80 here translates to an A + in the States. Some how the Australian students manage to get their fun in and do well in school. Australians also are not as competitive as Americans. For instance, In the states you could not go a day with out a fellow classmate wanting to know what you got on an exam or paper just so they can compare. That doesn't happen here. Its odd to ask another student what grade they got- its a bit personal.
Side note: Like every one else, Australians don't think much of Americans. They think that American students all go to huge Universities with nothing but Greek life, football and cheerleaders. And every Australian I have met thus far wants to visit New York City.

Oh and just incase you happen to run into an Australian. Here is a short lesson on Aussi lingo

She'll be right- Everything is going to be okay
Good on ya- Good Job (Sarcastic)
No worries- No problem, often used after thank you
Dag- to be dressed poorly
Perve- to sexually admire visually
Spew- vomit
Galah- idiot
Durry- cigarette
Kiwi- New Zealander
Bad Luck- Shit happens
Have a piss- Have a drink
Down the Hatch- dRINK UP
Pig's arse- Highly unlikely
Snag- Sausage
Barbie- BBQ
Sunnies- Sunglasss
Wuss- to act like baby
Yobbo- Rude male
Bogan- Trailer trash
Ginger- Redhead
Crook- to be unwell or in a bad mood
Fair go- to be fair
Hoon- A person who drives fast
Tute- Tutorial

2 comments:

  1. I am loving your blog :) man I miss the Aussie accent. Hope you're loving Oz as much as I loved it!!! Eat some kangaroo and emu for me!! Xx C

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVING IT !!! and next time I go to the market. I am getting some Kangaroo ... and emu... Lets hope I find a good recipe.
    And I love the accent... and stillworking on mastering it. LOL
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete